Idaho Map
Site Index
Our Travel Books
Advertising / Press

The Sierra Silver Mines of Wallace »« A Walk About Historic Wallace

The Oasis Bordello Museum in Wallace

Add to Flipboard Magazine.

The History Of Prostitution

Word had spread around Wallace that the Feds were on their way in, and the town’s bordellos had to close up fast. Under the vigilant eyes of Madame Ginger, the working girls of The Oasis grabbed what they could carry and left everything else behind. Their departure marked a sudden and unexpected end to prostitution in Wallace. The year was 1988.

For the next five years, until being sold in 1993, The Oasis was locked up and undisturbed. The building’s new owner found everything inside the former bordello just as Madame Ginger and her girls had left it — clothes, toiletries, personal items, drawings, Atari systems, price lists, liquor, even the now-rancid food in the refrigerator. He realized almost immediately that he had a ready-made museum on his hands.

It goes without saying that, in 1988, prostitution in America was completely illegal, even in out-of-the-way Wallace, Idaho. But Madame Ginger had been careful to make generous “donations” to the police department, and was one of the town’s prime philanthropists. As such, she was popular with locals and could even call upon the law for assistance, when needed. For all intents and purposes, The Oasis was a legitimate business… and what a business it was! With five girls working sixteen-hour shifts, profits were estimated to clear a million a year.

And that’s despite the competitive prices. Even those of us who’ve never, ahem, procured a Lady of the Night understand that $15 for an eight-minute session isn’t bad. During our fascinating tour of the Bordello, we found the price list posted up in Madame Ginger’s bedroom. Eight minutes was “the basic” session (let’s not kid ourselves, guys, that’s plenty of time). But there were other variations; you could go up to an hour, have a bubble bath, or purchase extra positions. The basic fare only included missionary.

Prices For Paid Love

The tour was compelling, often hilarious, occasionally sad and completely surprising. I had been expecting a staid, informative presentation of the prostitution racket in Idaho’s mining towns; not a bordello as it looked while still operating. We saw the girls’ music collections (Lionel Richie, Diana Ross), their reading selections (almost exclusively romance novels, which broke my heart), and wardrobes. We saw where they bathed, where they ate and, of course, where they worked.

Madame Ginger had expected to quickly return and resume business, but the FBI stuck around for years conducting a wide-ranging investigation into Wallace’s corrupt sheriff. When the Feds finally left, times had changed and bordellos were no longer a welcome enterprise in Wallace. With the money she had saved, Ginger moved to Coeur d’Alene and lived out the rest of her years in style.

Location on our Idaho Map

Fab Towels
Sex Alarm
Paid Love On Time
Rote Spitze
Carpet Of Love
Other Posts You Might Like from Idaho ...and Busan
Juergen and the SheepWhy Is Idaho so ConservativeIThe Trailing of the SheepSongdo Beach and Amnan Park
, , , , , , , , , , , ,
October 16, 2012 at 2:51 am
  • October 16, 2012 at 4:05 amDiane

I just had to Google A-200 pyrinate liquid… learned that it is LICE KILLING SHAMPOO. This was both an  interesting and sad look into a way of life most don’t think about.

• October 16, 2012 at 12:57 pmChristopher

Holy smokes! What a great experience, especially as a glance at what the 1980’s was really like. Sounds like Madame Ginger was a contemporary of Miss Mona from The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas!

• October 20, 2012 at 5:59 pmLAVA

What’s up with the WHS marching band uniform hanging on the closet door?  LOL

• October 20, 2012 at 10:34 pmJuergen

Madame Ginger was a big supporter of the local community and also helped the Wallace High School. The school insisted to have a uniform submitted to the museum to show their appreciation.

• October 21, 2013 at 6:07 pmjanet

Ginger (madam) purchased them. ginger was very helpful for our community

• October 28, 2012 at 8:13 pmAngela MacIsaac (@that_angela)

Eesh … why do I find mannequins so creepy?

• August 12, 2013 at 9:13 pmJeri

Thanks for the great post. I grew up in Wallace, and I was in the fifth grade when the feds raided the town. I’ve toured the bordello once, but plan on doing so again with my husband this Labor Day weekend when I go for a visit. Plus, I hope to base my second novel on some sort of scenario that involves Wallace’s scandalous past.

• June 3, 2014 at 12:39 amKen Trickey

I was in the Air Force stationed at Fairchild AFB in Spokane. Only 19 in 1962 but had a car. We were all under 20 years old and I was still a virgin. Knocked on the door of the Oasis (at street level) and we were allowed to come upstairs. I think all of us were virgins. I had the car and out-ranked all the others, so when the paraded all the girls in front of us I had first choice. I picked “Jet” a beautiful dark-haried lady. Had a great time “arount the world” for $10. One of my greatest memories.

• December 23, 2014 at 4:03 pmBarry

I liked your comments in the section about the Oasis.  It inspired me to post my memories of losing my virginity in Wallace.  In my case, it was at the Luxette rooms.  Check it out, if you like.  I wonder how many guys lost their virginity in Wallace.  Probably a lot.

• June 29, 2014 at 8:18 pmTessa

One of the old girls who worked there came back for the tour. When she got to her old room she grabbed the black pegisus statue next to her old bed flipped it over and grabbed her tips out! LOL All of the lamps the girls would keep their money in which is why those doll lamps are in there. :) This tour is worth it I just loved it I took my Husband and then we went to 1313 resturaunt and bar. I can not wait to go back! So fun to learn history! :)

• September 28, 2014 at 4:39 amLee

The first time I visited Wallace was some time in the late 70s or early 80s. How I heard about the bordello was when I was in the military the Army Times came out with a off limits list all over the united states. When I got out I had to see for myself. In the oasis I got the privilege of meeting a blond bombshell named Tanya. I think she was the nicest female I have ever met. She charged me $75.00 for one hour. She was terrific. I tried to find her a year later, and found out she married one of her clients. God Bless her

• September 29, 2014 at 12:58 amLee

They should hire some of the ex prostitutes as tour guides, they probably know more than anybody on what really went on. I can still see that lady in my mind that I visited many years ago. Haven’t visited the museum yet, but its on my bucket list. Thanks

• December 23, 2014 at 2:27 pmBarry

I grew up in Wallace.  While home from college during the summer of 1971, I lost my virginity to a lady at the Luxette Rooms, two doors down from the Oasis.  I never did go to the Oasis but did go back to the Luxette as well the U & I rooms and the Lux rooms over the next several years.  It was part of my “coming of age.”  Somewhere in the 90’s my wife and I toured the Oasis Museum.  Like I said, I had never gone to the Oasis but the tour did evoke great memories.  Yes, my wife was and is aware of my past.

• July 6, 2015 at 5:29 amKathy

I stumbled across this article, I worked there in the early to mid 80s, that life style long gone…..the rooms look exactly as they were. My room was the red room…the beads have been there since 1980. I loved Ginger she was an amazing woman, infact the girls I worked with were all amazing…..we worked three weeks on 2 weeks off and most came from other parts of the country but to all the “visitors” we would tell we came from somewhere in Idaho…..I’m so glad the museum is there, although most don’t agree with that lifestyle we all were good women. The men were put through an inspection prior to the party checked for pubic lice and would be ” milked” looking for a discharge anything that didn’t look right we did not entertain. We seen the local dr once a week for check ups .We sat around the kitchen table played cards, ate laughed cried while waiting for business, during the day we would get dressed and nap, but after 6 pm Ginger didn’t allow us to nap we were busy until 4 or 5 in the morning.In the downstairs area was storage, lots of old stuff Ginger didn’t want or the girls left behind, the TV and chair that was Gingers room we really didn’t go in there except on Saturday night pay night. We paid half our earnings to the house as well as 100 week room and board, we had a cook and a door person we were expected to tip them each week as well 50-100 depending on the season. They were local women not working girls.

• July 7, 2015 at 1:12 ambrian

hey Kathy, I was just there today. only thing they said different then you was, girls got sixty% and ginger got 40%. also that the girls had 3 wks on 1 wk off. im curious, who paid for the bouncers and maids? I assume ginger…fascinating place!!

• July 10, 2015 at 3:53 pmbud

I keep meaning to stop (been through on I90 3 times) but something always comes up. This year for sure- I have some time planned in Spokane.I worked with a guy who graduated from Washington State in the early 60’s, and he said that “pilgrimages” to Wallace were a regular feature of college life. He said that some fraternities would schedule a road trip as a reward for new initiates. (As pledges, they weren’t allowed to go, even on their own.)

• July 12, 2015 at 6:36 amKathy

Hey Brian, no it was 50/50.. Ginger paid the the door lady and the cook, we didn’t have a bouncer we typically could handle anybody who got out of hand. We did work 3 on 2 off…I lived in California had a home and bills to pay one week at home would not have been enough, those were the days that you could call the airlines and reserve tickets in any name. What memories, I forgot we also had traveling salesmen that visited selling jewelry and clothes they traveled the circuit between Wallace and Nevada.

• September 13, 2015 at 8:34 pmsharon

My great Aunt Emma Spencer was a Madam in Folsom Ca during the war & she had a bath house where she made the men bathe before entering “the big house”  My dad could tell some stories for sure.  She was elegant & well read & now her old house is an historical monument in Folsom!!I loved reading all thisSharon

Don't be Shy, Leave a Comment!